Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 1 - Travel to Edmonton

Last night we were fortunate to be invited to sing at the West Vancouver Memorial Library. It was a packed house – a great send-off for our tour!

2013-feb 23 034

In the picture you can see members of the bass section waiting patiently for the rest of us to assemble. Something that was different about this venue was that shelves of books had to be moved out of the way in order to make space for the audience to sit. Who knew that when you get rid of all that sound-sucking paper, an empty library has great acoustics!

Luckily for me not one librarian shushed me all evening.

2013-feb 23 035

It was super early in the morning when my alarm went off and I pulled myself out of bed. I was not in the best spirits on the way to the airport, as we had to catch a crack-of-dawn flight to Edmonton in order to make a 2:30 rehearsal. I mean, we didn’t even get a chance to adjust to the time zone or acclimate… or even put our bags in the hotel room. Ahhhhh the hard life of a singer… Smile

2013-feb 23 040

This is a picture of Pro Coro Canada, a professional group of amazing singers and their conductor Michael Zaugg. For tomorrow’s concert we will combining forces and making a “super-choir”, if you will.

When we got to the rehearsal, Pro Coro was practicing “Laudibus in sanctis” by Latvian composer Ugis Praulins (with lots of squiggles over the letters, but help me if I know how to do that on this computer). (Editor’s note: Uģis Prauliņš.) It is such a great piece filled with Baltic melodies, and they sing it so beautifully. I could see everyone in our group captivated by it, and all the fatigue we were feeling evaporate as we realized how good tomorrow’s concert is going to be.

2013-feb 23 037

Here we are packed on the shuttle bus, for all of you who thought we traveled first class.

After rehearsal we really needed some down time and a good supper:

2013-feb 23 043

Abracadabra… a beer appears…

I am pretty sure we all had a very early night in order to get ready for tomorrow’s big concert.

0 comments:

Post a Comment